Cooperative Overview: The Spartan Housing Cooperative (SHC) is a non-profit organization providing low-cost housing for students at MSU and members of the surrounding community. There are more than 250 members in 17 houses across the East Lansing area. Houses vary from five to 29 members, each with their own character and history. Our cooperative is member-owned and run, as well as democratically governed.
- One Year of Service
- Start Date: Flexible (October 2021)
- End Date: Dependent on start date
- Who May Be Considered: U.S. Citizens
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual Living Allowance: $15,000
- Time Requirements: 36-40 hrs per week
- Educational Award $6,195 or End of Service Stipend $1,800
- Eligible for health insurance, childcare and transportation allowance, Americorps Membership
Reports To: Executive Director
Position Description: The Alumni Engagement & Fundraising Coordinator shall be responsible for becoming familiar with the Spartan Housing Cooperative (SHC)’s existing alumni network, programs & fundraising activities, and funding sources for nonprofit cooperatives and affordable housing development in general. The Alumni Engagement & Fundraising Coordinator will develop and add to resources for maintaining a donor database and communicating with funding sources, in addition to building an active alumni network and organizing the Alumni Reunion.
- Create donor database and train staff members in its use; maintain donor database throughout service
- Write thank you postcards to donors and record this action and other communications in the donor database
- Organize virtual fundraising events, with the possibility of some in-person events depending on safety
- Create digital material to promote fundraising events to members and alumni network
- Coordinate planning for the SHC’s Alumni Reunion planned for October 2022
- Work with staff and executive members of the SHC to coordinate the quarterly alumni publication, collect submissions, and promote the finished product
- Develop a plan to reactivate the SHC Alumni Association focused on Ingham County & the surrounding region.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team
- Interest in and understanding of alumni or donor programming;
- Experience with co-op or resident-controlled housing preferred but not required;
- Effective at balancing multiple tasks and priorities;
- Knowledge of Google Suite programs and WordPress preferred.
- Experience fundraising, development, canvassing or phone-banking
- Journalistic capabilities
- Database or advanced spreadsheet experience
- Photography skills