Communications Associate: AmeriCorps VISTA Position
This position will be supporting CCCD in the development of a worker-owned home care cooperative, Co-op Home Care. The co-op is an economic initiative that aims to address two needs in the community: the shortage of home care services for the elderly and the low wages and poor working conditions of home care workers.
Position Description: Communications Associate will work with the Cooperative Facilitator and members in supporting cooperative success through outreach, education and marketing that informs the community about the co-op, and helps the co-op business thrive. Responsibilities include assisting with:
- Identifying and conducting outreach to community organizations to initiate professional relationships between the cooperative and potential stakeholders
- Developing and utilizing an outreach toolkit that incorporates social media, website posts and other forms of outreach
- Caregiver recruitment to grow job creation
- Encouraging worker-members to become community ambassadors by helping them learn skills associated with engendering professionalism
- Coordinating group presentations and workshops within the local community to promote the co-op's mission and services
- Assisting in designing an evaluation system and materials to be used for gathering member and client feedback
- Attend local community events and engage in other promotional events with worker-members
- Organizing fundraising events and other community engagement opportunities
CCCD Position: This is a full-time position with a year-long commitment. The VISTA will be expected to work 35 hours per week; weekdays and occasional weekends or evenings. The VISTA’s service will begin on 8/17/20 and continue through 8/16/21. CCCD encourages professional growth through support to attend related conferences and trainings, reimbursement for work-related travel, as well as a monthly gift card to shop at the Davis Food Co-op. Holidays and time off is provided within the VISTA monthly living allowance.
Info About VISTA & Benefits: AmeriCorps VISTA is an opportunity to provide service to improve communities while gaining valuable experiences and professional development training.
The AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer will receive a modest monthly living allowance of $1,333 in addition to healthcare benefits and end of service award (choice of a Segal Education Award worth approx. $6,000 or a cash stipend of $1,800). VISTAs are also eligible for the NCE hiring path to federal agencies.
Eligible VISTAs may also receive a relocation allowance and childcare benefit. Details can be found here:https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista/life-vistamember
When & How to Apply: Applications will be reviewed as received, and accepted through Friday, July 17.
Applicants will need to create an account on my.americorps.gov, if they don’t already have one:https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do
Once you have registered, applicants will need to apply directly through the job listing on AmeriCorps website:https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=94137
Once your application has been received and reviewed, you may be contacted by CCCD for an interview. If you have any questions regarding your application, please email us at email@example.com (subject line: VISTA Communications Associate Position).
Qualifications & Expectations:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school or university
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Competency using Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Word
- Experience and comfort with computer and web-based communications: Facebook, website posting and email communication programs like Constant Contact
- Self-motivated, highly organized team player
- Ability to professional communicate verbally and in writing
- Able to set priorities and creatively problem-solve
- Ability and comfort with juggling multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit