The Cohousing Association of the United States Seeks a new Executive Director
The Cohousing Association of the United States (CohoUS) is a national nonprofit organization which promotes and supports cohousing communities in changing our world. Spreading the word about the ways cohousing shifts the culture toward a new American dream. We promote and support communities where people are surrounded by caring, collaborative neighbors who use fewer of the earth’s resources while living an abundant life. Building on CohoUS' thirty-year history, the association is poised for a new chapter that creates more cohousing, emphasizing affordability and inclusion. CohoUS is seeking a new Executive Director. In their first year, the ED will refocus the organization's strategic vision, host a national conference in Madison, WI, and continue our extremely successful online event series. The ED, working with the CohoUS Board of Directors, will be responsible for the overall success of the organization.
Share ~ Health ~ Fun ~ Growth ~ Democracy ~ Impact ~ Choice ~ Giving ~ Savings ~ Green ~ Community
Mission: CohoUS advances cohousing by assisting forming and existing communities and educating the public about the benefits of cohousing, from resource conservation to healthy families.
The Executive Director provides leadership and management of CohoUS, while we advocate for growing cohousing as a valuable model of community housing and lifestyle. The successful
candidate must be skilled at external relations, strategic planning, and organizational management. The ED is responsible for maintaining, developing and implementing CohoUS programs and events, overseeing administrative operations, supervising staff, maintaining our financial stability, recruiting and managing volunteer committees, and expanding CohoUS’ reach
and influence. The ED will build their team as needed and work closely with, and report to, the CohoUS Board of Directors.
Position Responsibilities Include:
● Lead development and implementation of CohoUS' strategy through an annual work
plan, in collaboration with the Board of Directors.
● Support, manage and enhance CohoUS programs and services.
● Serve as an ambassador for CohoUS to promote our programs and advance our
● Inform decision makers in government and business about the value of cohousing, at
local, state and national levels.
● Develop and steward strategic partnerships that advance the mission of CohoUS.
● Engage the Board of Directors in organizational strategy and activities.
● Keep the Board of Directors regularly informed.
● Strengthen the CohoUS brand, market our programs, and engage with the international
● Raise visibility and credibility through public relations and educational opportunities.
● Ensure CohoUS’ financial stability by overseeing revenue generation from both
fundraising and paid services, and managing financial reporting.
● Develop and oversee the annual budget and submit periodic financial statements to the
Board of Directors.
● Organize/oversee national and regional cohousing events, conferences, retreats, and
other learning opportunities.
● Recruit, lead, and develop staffing and volunteer resources.
The ideal candidate is an experienced, creative, and resourceful professional who is well-
organized, highly motivated, people-oriented, and excited about working in a nonprofit focused
on expanding housing and building community.
Ideal candidates will have the following:
● Experience in nonprofit management
● Experience working with a Board of Directors
● Experience in leadership of strategic planning
● Ability to focus on external engagement/visibility and internal association management
● Experience in fundraising and advocacy
● Passion for and experience with community-focused housing or other community-based
● Experience with virtual and in-person event and conference planning and management
● Ability to build and strengthen collaborations with allied organizations
● Experience in market identification, development and messaging, preferably in public
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Ability to inspire diverse stakeholders toward a common vision
● Self-starter traits
● Experience in:
o Database management (DonorPerfect and Constant Contact preferred)
o Financial budgeting and management
o Website maintenance
o Public policy and advocacy
● Ability to travel 1-2 times annually
● Direct experience with cohousing: living in a cohousing community or involved in the
development of a cohousing community
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range $62-66,000 (full time), three weeks vacation, $4000 (annual) stipend for health
benefits. Work from home. This is a flexible full-time position; while historically this has been a
full-time position, flexibility in hours is an option.
Please send a resume and cover letter by email to Lew Bowers BOD member
LewBowers155@gmail.com Accepting applications until position is filled.
CohoUS is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and women and those on the gender spectrum are encouraged to apply.