The Maintenance Coordinator shall be responsible for coordinating tasks related to the routine maintenance and upkeep of the physical assets of the MSU Student Housing Cooperative (SHC). They guide the SHC’s Facilities Team, which includes residents, employees, and independent contractors, to delegate tasks and ensure the team completes high quality work and repairs. The Maintenance Coordinator also makes properties comply with health, safety, environmental sustainability and habitability standards, as required by the local housing authorities and the SHC Code of Operations. They are the first responder to daily emergencies, tend to requests that need repair through coordinating the Facilities Team, and ensure preventative maintenance, as needed. The Maintenance Coordinator also handles any documentation related to work tasks performed by themselves or the Facilities Team. They assist in preparing the annual budget, watch the monthly budget, prepare activity reports, and schedule personnel.
Routine Maintenance Coordination:
- Review, evaluate, and prioritize resident requests for maintenance.
- Work with the Facilities Team to prepare for regular inspections to ensure compliance with all codes and violations put forth by: Rental License inspectors, the Fire Marshal, insurance providers, or others involved in code and health and safety enforcement.
- In conjunction with the VP of Facilities and the Facilities Committee, maintain a list of approved contractors for completing needed jobs.
- Hire and oversee contractors and laborers as required to complete routine maintenance approved projects.
Facilities Team Communication & Support
- Create and maintain a strong, working relationship with the Facilities Team, including VP Facilities, Facilities Committee, Green Team, and Executive Director to ensure maintenance tasks are appropriately delegated, completed, and communicated.
- Foster an environment and a policy/code/operating standards that empower residents to maintain safe and secure homes in a manner that demonstrates ecological stewardship, respect for past & future residents, and an appreciation of each home’s unique culture and beauty.
- Communicate consistently and clearly with resident work crew members, contractors, government entities, and neighboring cooperatives, as necessary.
Maintenance Planning & Budgeting
- Maintain records and report on activities, budget, tools, supplies & equipment, and planned projects.
- Assist in preparing and developing Annual Budget and multi-year plans that address routine and preventative maintenance, wear and tear to property and equipment, as well as environmental sustainability.
- Ensure maintenance hiring and purchasing avoid conflicts of interest and assures the balance of long-term quality and cost.
- Assist in documenting and maintaining records related to SHC’s inventory of assets initially valued at over $2,000.
- Associates degree or technical certification in related fields.
- At least two years experience in construction, property maintenance or related positions; supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience working with co-op or resident-controlled housing preferred; experience with “governance” approach to property maintenance.
- Experience working with volunteer boards, community groups, or committees.
- Basic Computer software skills (mobile & desktop), including Google Business Suite, to communicate, plan, and delegate tasks to the Facilities Team and contractors; Experience with property management or ticketing system software a plus.
- Experience in developing, monitoring and evaluating budgets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Task-oriented, able to handle multiple priorities and able to competently handle emergency situations.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to work with and support group decision-making, resident-controlled committees, and volunteers.hy
- Able to hire and supervise work crews, volunteers, and/or contractors to accomplish projects.
- Basic knowledge of physical construction aspects of buildings and facilities, including:
- Rental, building, health, fire and safety codes.
- Historic District standards and requirements
- Yard maintenance and ‘curb-appeal standards’
- Mechanical knowledge (boilers, furnaces, bath fans, kitchen hoods)
- …..green architecture, sustainability energy efficiency solar…...
- Sufficient mathematical and quantitative ability and experience to assist in creating, analyzing and managing an annual maintenance budget of $100,000+.
- Collaboration, networking, and relationship-building skills in order to coordinate Field and Office operations and maintain a high level of resident satisfaction.
- Able to work effectively in formal and informal teams with college students and individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Status: Regular, Full-time; Non-Exempt; Expected Hours of Work, Monday-Friday, 9 p.m.- 5 p.m. with various required evening, weekend and on-call work.
Reports To: Executive Director
Supervises: Hired Maintenance Contractors, Laborers
Advises: Senior Maintenance/Construction Coordinator, VP Facilities, Facilities Committee, House Officers