College Houses is a nonprofit student housing cooperative in Austin, Texas, managed by its student members. Formed in 1964, College Houses’ mission is to provide affordable housing to foster community, support education, and promote the personal development and well-being of our members. Located in the West Campus neighborhood near the University of Texas, College Houses’ 7 cooperatives are home to over 500 members.
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsible for: The Member Services Coordinator is responsible for providing leadership, management, and oversight of the College Houses’ Member Services and Occupancy Management. They promote a positive living and learning experience for residents and staff.
Hours/status: Full time; Salaried- non-exempt
- Member Services
- Contact with all new members after contract signing.
- Develop and maintain, with the Administrative Coordinator, application materials and systems, including contracts.
- Coordinate, with the Administrative Coordinator, priority signing for current members.
- Update website content to best serve members.
- Handle sensitive membership issues in coordination with Executive Director.
- Assist Executive Director in risk management and legal case preparation.
- Coordinate student emergency services with universities, police, fire, EMS, families, and emergency contacts.
- Serve in an on-call capacity to support senior staff emergency response during evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Provide excellent customer service and problem solving when handling membership issues.
- Create and distribute monthly member newsletter, as well as other member-centered communications, as needed
- Coordinate educational programming at the houses and the central level
- Occupancy Management
- Ensure that College Houses is meeting occupancy targets.
- Provide strategic leadership and direction on housing policies, guidelines, and priorities related to student housing.
- Assess and evaluate occupancy management processes and services. Research and implement best practices.
- Network and represent College Houses with allied organizations to cultivate relationships that will broaden our membership base.
- Compile an annual analysis of competitive market housing rates with recommendations for room rate structures.
- Cross train with Administrative Coordinator to cover systems administration in their absence, when necessary.
- Ensure College Houses complies with Fair Housing guidelines.
- Oversee City of Austin loan compliance for the Super Co-op and 21st St. Co-op.
- House Coordination
- Coordinate New Member Orientation in houses and at the central level.
- Coordinate with house officers and staff to ensure updated training materials
- Train and support Membership Coordinators
- Facilitate various meetings
- Coordinate, support, and direct student office labor (typically 10-15 members).
- Supervise any active interns (office interns, NASCO Intern, etc.).
- Supervise and support the summer hosteling program and the Hosteling Coordinator
- Act as a resource person to members, board members and house officers
- Facilitate continuity and history for the board and houses
- Staff support for the Governance committee of the College Houses Board of Directors
- Bi-weekly production and distribution of agendas, meeting minutes, and materials.
- Preparation of reports, research, policy drafting, and recommendations.
- Special Projects
- Coordinate with Executive Director and Board of Directors for special projects.
- General reception in the absence of front desk coverage: walk-ins, phone calls, payment processing, package notifications, and information requests.
- Facilitate a welcoming atmosphere for members, officers and staff.
- Create and maintain a welcoming and professional face to applicants, parents, the International Office, and other groups
- Treat everyone in a professional, respectful, and friendly manner.
- Work as part of a team of professionals supporting co-op members and facilitating the success of the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Will work around standard office conditions
- May spend extended periods of time at a desk working at a computer
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Expected to work 40 hours each week, and be in the office from 10 am – 6 pm, Monday through Friday
- Requires the ability to perform tasks that involve bending, lifting, walking, carrying and using force equal to lifting up to 50 pounds, with or without accommodations. Any lifts over 50 lbs. may only be performed as team lifts with supervisor’s approval
Knowledge, abilities, and skills
- Knowledge of cooperative business model
- Knowledge of and skill in student housing, communications, adult education and program management
- Skill in oral and written communication
- Skill in using computers and related software applications
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing while working independently
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving
- Skill in planning and organizing
- Skill in education and training practices
- Ability to handle stressful situations with calmness and composure
- Ability to create and maintain relationships with multiple stakeholder groups
- Ability to recognize and recommend process improvement
- Ability to lead and train others
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with College Houses members, staff, and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, high school diploma required
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work occasional evenings and flexible hours
College Houses offers a competitive benefits package including full medical and dental insurance, a retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. The starting salary range for this position is between $45,000 - $50,000 and will be commensurate with experience and education. The overall salary range for any Coordinator position at CH is $35,000 - $55,000.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 - $50,000.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Schedule
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Professional Development Assistance
- Retirement Plan
We will require masks in our office if a 6 foot distance can't be maintained. The amount of people in our office will be limited to no more than 10 at any time, including guests and members. Remote work is possible if the situation changes in Austin.
- relevant: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Austin, TX 78705 (Required)
- United States (Required)
- What experience do you have working with the cooperative business model?
- One location
Communication method(s) used:
- In person
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- 8 hour shift
- On call
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible