Operations Manager The Bronx Cooperative Development Initiative (BCDI) is a community-led effort to build an equitable, sustainable, and democratic local economy that creates wealth and ownership for low-income people of color—what we call economic democracy. We are looking for an Operations Manager with excellent HR, budget planning, compliance, and management skills, who also has a strong understanding of finance. Our organization is young, dynamic, and passionate about addressing Bronx challenges using Bronx assets and resources. This position is perfect for someone who is passionate about the Bronx and understands the value of a solid operational foundation to further enable the achievement of BCDI’s mission.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
The Operations Manager will lead the operations team and collaborate with program staff and the Managing Director for Planning and Policy to create systems, policies, and procedures for a highly functioning organization and translate goals into action. The Operations Manager will oversee fiscal management, personnel management, compliance, and administration for a growing organization. S/he will supervise the operations team at BCDI and will report directly to the Managing Director for Planning and Policy. Financial Oversight, Compliance, and Budget Planning and Management:
● Enforcing internal financial control policies and providing oversight of all organizational accounting functions (general ledger, budget systems, chart of accounts)
● Financial reporting (generating and reviewing financial reports), including annual audit
● Assisting with preparation of grant reports
● Updating and enforcing BCDI’s fiscal policy handbook
Human Resources Management:
● Managing personnel/human resources in a way that ensures that BCDI is attracting and retaining talent
● Managing payroll systems and procedures
● Updating and maintaining employee handbook and performance review systems in accordance with BCDI values and operational needs
● Managing strong on- and off-boarding processes for BCDI employees Budget Planning and Management:
● Leading budget planning and implementation, including working closely with program directors and other staff to develop annual program and organizational budgets
● Aligning fundraising strategy with financial needs of the organization
● Tracking and making recommendations for budget modifications
● Providing guidance on financial strategy to support informed decision-making and long-term thinking
● Ensuring compliance with federal, state, and city government, filing reports in accordance with legal requirements and advising on actions needed
● Developing and enforcing policies and procedures
● Driving operational strategy for new and existing programs, institutional expansion and operational affiliations, organizational development, and legal structuring/incorporation
Required Skills and Capacities:
● At least five years of non-profit management experience, specifically in finance, administration, operations, and/or human resources
● Proven leader and supervisor with excellent people skills and ability to collaborate with a diverse and dynamic staff team
● Systems-oriented thinker with excellent organizational and project management skills and attention to detail
● Strong research and communication skills
● Comfortable working with technology platforms for communications, planning and management – including accounting software (e.g. Quickbooks online), project management (e.g. Asana), online database systems (e.g. Airtable), and communications (e.g. Slack)
● Commitment to social inclusion, anti-oppression, racial, sexual, and economic justice
● Bachelor's degree (graduate degree preferred) or equivalent experience
● Experience living and working in the Bronx and NYC
● Fluent in Spanish
Compensation: $50,000 to $60,000, commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. BCDI is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, past incarceration, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination, which is prohibited by law, as is harassment based on any of the above-protected categories.