Date to Apply By: February 16th, 2021Anticipated Start Date: March 15th, 2021Salary: $50k, plus benefits and paid time offHours: Full Time Exempt
Organizational DescriptionCooperationWorks (CW) is the national network of cooperative developers. Our mission is to strengthen America’s cooperative movement by building and empowering a network of skilled cooperative development practitioners. CW membership consists of cooperative development centers and individuals working in all 50 states and across co-op sectors. Our members provide technical assistance, education and training, and referrals to both start-up and expanding cooperatives. CooperationWorks connects and builds this network through continuing education, peer learning, advocacy, and professional development for new cooperative developers.
The Program Director is a full-time position that will coordinate and expand CooperationWorks’ flagship training program, The Art and Science of Cooperative Development, while building other continuing education opportunities for CW members and the broader cooperative community.
The Art and Science of Cooperative Development has traditionally been a three-part program with two in-person sessions and one session held virtually. This program is targeted toward new cooperative developers and other professionals who would like to include cooperative development in their toolkit. During the COVID-19 pandemic, CW successfully moved the two in-person trainings to an online setting. In 2021, we are expanding Building Blocks, the first session, by offering it virtually four times and tailoring it to various regions of the US. The aim of this expansion is to provide more accessible training and enable more people to attend. Eventually, virtual training will be in tandem with (not replacing) in-person trainings. The Program Director will be instrumental in building out this expanded program, while keeping the other courses of The Art and Science running smoothly as well. We hope candidates are excited to build the cooperative movement through engaging, robust, and accessible co-op training and education!
This position will also build out other continuing education programming that may include live and recorded webinars, written training documents, pre-recorded trainings, online courses, and more. Topics for these programs will span cooperative sectors, parts of the development process, and current issues in cooperative development.
The Program Director reports to the Executive Director.
ResponsibilitiesProgram Management and Event Administration (50%)
- Coordinate speakers and trainers for CW’s professional development programs. For in-person programs, this includes lodging and transportation
- Work with the Executive Director and Professional Development Committee to set curriculum for each training
- Set up and track event registration and payments.
- Serve as main liaison between program participants and CW
- Maintain list of people who have come through the Art and Science program and track who receives a Certificate of Completion
- Provide a written program evaluation detailing strengths and weaknesses of the program, identifying potential changes, and reflecting participants’ experience
Marketing and Outreach (25%)
- Create outreach materials to recruit people to CW’s programming
- Develop robust online marketing plan for program recruitment
- Connect with new communities that would benefit from cooperative development training
- Respond to inquiries about CW programs
- Collect testimonials from people who’ve been through CW’s training
- Conduct an annual survey of members to determine desired content and media for upcoming year’s professional development offerings.
- Liaise with the Professional Development Committee and the Marketing and Outreach Committee to expand programming and coordinate campaigns.
- Attend at least CW Member meeting annually.
- Solicit sponsorships for A&S participant scholarships.
- Identify grant opportunities for cooperative education and work with the Executive Director to apply
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Three years of combined experience with project management, event coordination, and/or event coordination
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with cooperative education and curriculum design
- Experience as a cooperative developer
- BA preferred but not required
- Experience running successful marketing campaigns, creating promotional materials, and managing multiple social media accounts
- Experience fundraising through grants, sponsorships, and/or personal giving.
- Passion for the cooperative business model
- Fluency in Spanish
- Preferred location in California, but other locations considered
- Some travel required. The candidate should be able to travel across the country for up to five nights at least three times/year.
- Office work requires the ability to work with equipment including computers, printers, and telephones
- This position may be done remotely
CW is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life. Come join us.