Training Associate: AmeriCorps VISTA Position
This position will be supporting CCCD in the development of a worker-owned home care cooperative, Co-op Home Care. The co-op is an economic initiative that aims to address two needs in the community: the shortage of home care services for the elderly and the low wages and poor working conditions of home care workers.
Position Description: Training Associate will work with CCCD staff and co-op members to develop a cohesive training plan that helps cooperative members monitor their business and prepares them to provide high quality professional in-home care services to clients. The associate will assist in designing a multi-year training program that incorporates the business plan, reflects the goals of the co-op, and includes caregiving and business management topics.
Responsibilities include assisting with:
- Developing enduring training materials using a variety of media:
- Video Segments (can be Power Point, web-like presentation)
- Producing training curriculum and providing one-on-one or group trainings for worker-members
- Organizing team-building activities as well as exercises that enhance understanding in substantive topics, including:
- Financial literacy
- Presenting oneself as a paraprofessional to clients and families
- Caregiving trainings on required and relevant topics
- Documenting model policies and procedures as they are ratified by the worker-members
- Designing methods that support the transition from trainee to trainer
- Promoting worker empowerment in a manner that maintains and strengthens trust between and among the non-profit and the co-op members.
CCCD Position: This is a full-time position with a year-long commitment. The VISTA will be expected to work 35 hours per week; weekdays and occasional weekends or evenings. The VISTA’s service will begin on 8/17/20 and continue through 8/16/21. CCCD encourages professional growth through support to attend related conferences and trainings, reimbursement for work-related travel, as well as a monthly gift card to shop at the Davis Food Co-op. Holidays and time off is provided within the VISTA monthly living allowance.
Info About VISTA & Benifits: AmeriCorps VISTA is an opportunity to provide service to improve communities while gaining valuable experiences and professional development training.
The AmeriCorps VISTA Volunteer will receive a modest monthly living allowance of $1,333 in addition to healthcare benefits and end of service award (choice of a Segal Education Award worth approx. $6,000 or a cash stipend of $1,800). VISTAs are also eligible for the NCE hiring path to federal agencies.
Eligible VISTAs may also receive a relocation allowance and childcare benefit. Details can be found here:https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista/life-vistamember
When & How to Apply: Applications will be reviewed as received, and accepted through Friday, July 17.
Applicants will need to create an account on my.americorps.gov, if they don’t already have one:https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do
Once you have registered, applicants will need to apply directly through the job listing on AmeriCorps website:https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=94134
Once your application has been received and reviewed, you may be contacted by CCCD for an interview. If you have any questions regarding your application, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: VISTA Training Associate Position).
Qualifications & Expectations:
- Bechelor's degree from an accredited school or university
- Bilingual Spanish-English verbal and writing preferred
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Excellent skills in using Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Word
- Experience and/or coursework in education approaches and techniques
- Experience with and/or keen interest in learning popular education philosophy and techniques
- Ability to professionally communicate verbally and in writing
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Team player with a collaborative spirit
- Able to set priorities and creatively problem-solve
- Ability and comfort with juggling multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment