Co-op / Organization:
Madison Community Cooperative
Type of Organization:
Brief Description of Organization:
Our mission is to improve the Madison community by providing low-cost, not-for-profit cooperative housing for very low to moderate-income people and to be inclusive of underrepresented and marginalized groups of the community.
Number of Members:
Number of Staff:
Are you interested in cooperative history? Might you enjoy digging through old stuff in a basement as part of your summer? Do you want to explore Madison, Wisconsin with one of the largest community housing co-op organizations in the universe as your home base?
In this position, you will...
- Make an inventory of MCC’s physical archives.
- Evaluate materials to recommend as priorities for digitization and/or of special interest to the historical record.
- Scan materials; record alumni contact information where present; upload and organize files in Google Drive.
- Research methods to store files securely and make them easily accessible for co-op members and others.
- Design a way to share what interesting stuff you found in the archives (online exhibit? in-person presentation? zine? etc.)
- (If time and resources allow) Participate in initial planning process for an oral history project on Madison cooperatives.
- (If time and resources allow) Research holdings in Wisconsin Historical Society and UW-Madison Archives related to MCC.
- Ongoing communication with MCC officers and staff, who will share about MCC’s history and current operations.
- Introduction to the Madison InfoShop, a collectively organized free library/archives hosted in our office space.
- Informational meetings with representatives of other Madison cooperatives about their archival practices.
- Training on operation of scanner equipment.
Skills Development & Learning:
- Archival inventory, digitization, and presentation
- Primary-source research
- Stories from co-op elders
Other details of working conditions:
When working in our shared office space with several computers, some coordination with other staff will be necessary.
Interns will receive room/board for hours up to 15, and $12.85/hr after that.
is Room Included for members?:
Total Hours of Work Per Week: