Co-op / Organization:
Madison Community Cooperative
Type of Organization:
Brief Description of Organization:
Our mission is to improve the Madison community by providing low-cost, not-for-profit cooperative housing for very low to moderate-income people and to be inclusive of underrepresented and marginalized groups of the community.
Number of Members:
Number of Staff:
Are you interested in the “practical side” of cooperatives- our physical spaces? Would you enjoy working both indoors and outdoors with occasional heavy lifting this summer? Do you want to explore Madison, Wisconsin with one of the largest community housing co-op organizations in the universe as your home base?
- Assist MCC Maintenance Coordinators with planning and supervision of building, repair, and landscaping projects.
- Assist MCC Maintenance Coordinators to keep ongoing communication with House Maintenance Coordinators, contractors, and suppliers.
- Participate in Worker Group to execute building, repair, and landscaping projects. One major need this summer will be a terrace for Ambrosia Co-op’s lakefront backyard.
- Ongoing communication with MCC officers and staff, who will share about MCC’s history and current operations.
- Tour of all MCC properties and introduction to maintenance “walkthrough” procedures.
- Shadowing MCC and House Maintenance Coordinators.
- Training on particular tasks as needs arise.
Skills Development & Learning:
- Assisting at all stages of major maintenance projects.
- Observing how MCC organizes decision-making and project management related to maintenance.
Other details of working conditions:
When working in our shared office space with several computers, some coordination with other staff will be necessary.
Interns will receive room/board for hours up to 15, and $12.85/hr after that.
is Room Included for members?:
Total Hours of Work Per Week: