Apply for a Scholarship to NASCO Institute 2020
NASCO raises money to help make funding available to Institute participants through our Low-Income Scholarship Fund. Individuals who are eligible to receive funding must be experiencing financial need that would make paying registration fees and travel expenses a significant hardship.
We have established the following criteria for selecting scholarship recipients:
- Financial Need: If a co-op cannot afford to sponsor anyone, NASCO will try to support at least one member from that co-op.
- Marginalized Identities: NASCO actively encourages delegations that represent the diversity of their own communities.
- Geographic Location: NASCO seeks representation from a variety of regions and both urban and rural communities throughout the U.S. and Canada.
- Crisis Resolution: Members at co-ops facing crisis situations are encouraged to attend. Our experience has been that participation in the Institute can have a strong impact when members have the opportunity to learn best practices in a peer-to-peer environment.
- Developing Co-ops: NASCO reserves scholarship funds for groups working to form new cooperatives.
- New to NASCO: NASCO will prioritize awarding scholarships to cooperators who have never been to Institute before.
Scholarship awards range in amount and are given per co-op member, not co-op organizations. There is no limit on the number of members per co-op who can qualify– applications will be reviewed individually from the entire pool of applications. The scholarship can be used toward registration costs or other financial barriers to participation.
A number of NASCO members hold fundraising drives to cover registration costs, often hosting benefit parties to help cover their fees and those of their housemates. Additionally, many member co-ops offer their own scholarships and arrange travel for their members to attend Institute. Contact your co-op office to inquire about these scholarships.
If you are interested in making a donation towards NASCO Institute Scholarships, you can contribute here.