Apply for a Scholarship to NASCO Institute 2019
NASCO raises money to help make funding available to Institute participants through our Low-Income Scholarship Fund. Individuals who are eligible to receive funding must be experiencing financial need that would make paying registration fees and travel expenses a significant hardship.
We have established the following criteria for selecting scholarship recipients:
- Financial Need: If a co-op cannot afford to sponsor anyone, NASCO will try to support at least one member from that co-op.
- Geographic Location: NASCO seeks representation from a variety of regions and both urban and rural communities throughout the U.S. and Canada.
- Travel Costs: Individuals traveling longer distances receive commensurate assistance through registration scholarships.
- Diversity: NASCO actively encourages delegations that represent the diversity of their own communities.
- Crisis Resolution: Members at co-ops facing crisis situations are encouraged to attend. Our experience has been that participation in the Institute can have a strong impact when members have the opportunity to learn best practices in a peer-to-peer environment.
- Developing Co-ops: NASCO reserves scholarship funds for groups working to form new cooperatives.
Awards typically range from $50-200. Awards are given per co-op member, not co-op organizations. There is no limit on the number of members per co-op who can qualify– applications will be reviewed individually from the entire pool of applications. The scholarship can be used toward registration costs or travel.
A number of NASCO members hold fundraising drives to cover registration costs, often hosting benefit parties to help cover their fees and those of their housemates. Additionally, many member co-ops offer their own scholarships and arrange travel for their members to attend Institute. Contact your co-op office to inquire about these scholarships.
Scholarship applications for NASCO Institute 2019 are now closed.
If you are interested in making a donation towards NASCO Instistute Scholarships, you can contribute here.