ReJenerate is an independent housing co-op currently under development in Madison. The co-op consists of two historic houses that were purchased by RefineJenifer (www.refinejenifer.com) in 2019 with the goal of turning them into a housing co-op. In early 2021, the property will be sold to the ReJenerate Housing Cooperative. After a period of construction, ReJenerate will be ready for occupancy in Fall 2021. While the culture of the co-op is still forming, the co-op has applied for 501c3 status and there are currently five active board members meeting twice a month, developing house policies and a membership plan.
Our values are focused around environmental sustainability and our goal is to create a permanently affordable diverse intentional community on Madison's rapidly gentrifying isthmus.
Some features of the co-op:
- A new commercial kitchen and dining room in the basement where meals will be prepared and served. The basements of the two houses will be connected together via an underground tunnel (the houses are only 3 feet apart)
- Eleven rooms and four "suites" -- apartment style units with 2-5 bedrooms, a bathroom, and a kitchenette that will be intentionally inclusive of families
- Two rooms will be ADA accessible. Three rooms will be reserved for young adults experiencing housing insecurity.
- We're working to be (close to) net zero. As part of the construction there will be extensive energy efficiency upgrades - insulation, HVAC, electrical, and more. One of the houses roof will be fully covered in solar.
- The co-op will have three electric vehicles as part of a carsharing plan. This will help members cut down on personal car ownership and use of street parking. The neighborhood is already very bike, ped, and transit friendly.
2 rooms will be ADA, with a platform lift to the basement and an outdoor ramp to the other house
For the rooms we're aiming towards being on par with other co-ops in the area, e.g. ~$500 but the exact amount could change
100 (could change
Still working on this